Publications and Prizes
Publications and Prizes
- "Growing up on food stamps, I had no idea I was despised" (op-ed) in the Chicago Sun-Times, January 2, 2020: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/1/2/21044582/food-stamps-snap-diane-oneill
- "Hector the Superhero" (story) in LADYBUG Magazine, January 2019: https://shop.cricketmedia.com/LADYBUG-Magazine-January-2019.html
- "Time Travel: J.C. Penney Photo Studio, 1994" (poem) in the 2018 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/time-travel-jc-penney-photo-studio-lit-issue/
- "Immigration and Hope," guest blog post, Solstice Literary Magazine, April 2018: solsticelitmag.org/blog/the-immigrant-experience-then-and-now-and-hope-for-the-future/
- "O Say Can You Hear" in Journal of Modern Poetry 21: Dear Mr. President, Chicago Poetry Press, 2018: www.amazon.com/Dear-Mr-President-Journal-Modern/dp/0692100644
- "Thanksgiving Still Life" (poem) in the 2017 Holiday Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/holiday-poetry/
- "Nighthawks," 3rd place winner, "Chicago: The Arts," Poets & Patrons Contest 2017.
- "Reconciliation" (poem) in The Pain that Unites Us All, 2017: www.lulu.com/shop/various-authors/the-pain-that-unites-us-all/ebook/product-23351611.html
- "Jerrie" (essay) in the 2017 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/jerrie/
- "Chicago Spring, 1983" (poem) in the 2017 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/chicago-spring-1983
- "Valentin's School" in Highlights for Children (contract signed May 2017).
- "Nature and the City Kid" in Journal of Modern Poetry 19: The Poetry Writer's Guide to the Galaxy, Chicago Poetry Press, 2017: www.amazon.com/Poetry-Writers-Guide-Galaxy-Journal/dp/1545256047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495561777
- "Friendship" (essay) and "September Thanksgiving" (story) in Womanthology: writings on women worldwide, 2017: www.lulu.com/shop/various-authors/womanthology-writings-on-women-worldwide/ebook/product-23113882.html
- "Are There No Workhouses?" (poem) in the 2016 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/are-there-no-workhouses/
- "Selective Nostalgia" in Poetry of Protest: Journal of Modern Poetry 19, Chicago Poetry Press, 2016: www.amazon.com/Poetry-Protest-Journal-Modern-19/dp/0692687580
- "Bestfriend" (poem) in The Shine Journal (February 2016): www.theshinejournal.net/diane-o-neill
- "The Gift" (essay) in National University's Gnu Journal (January 2016): gnujournal.com/nonfiction/the-gift-diane-oneill/
- "Red Cups" (poem) in the 2015 Holiday Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/red-cups/
- "Language of the Unheard" (poem) in the 2015 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly: southsideweekly.com/language-of-the-unheard/
- "Age" (essay) in Still Crazy Literary Magazine, July 2015.
- "My Son's Race" (essay) in the 2014 Lit Issue of the South Side Weekly, based out of the University of Chicago: southsideweekly.com/my-sons-race/
- "Siblings." Runner-up winner of 2011 "Write a Dear Reader" contest; published at BookTrib.com (September 9, 2011) and at DearReader.com (September 20, 2011): dearreader.typepad.com/dear/2011/09/dear-reader-column-09-20-11.html
- "A recipe for Irish heritage" (op-ed) in The Chicago Tribune, Sunday Perspective, December 5, 2010: articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-12-05/opinion/ct-perspec-1205-irish-20101205_1_baking-soda-irish-bread-famine
- Six-word memoir included in It All Changed in an Instant: More Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure, edited by SMITH Magazine, Harper Perennial, 2010: www.harpercollins.com/9780061719431/it-all-changed-in-an-instant
- "Remembering Maggie" (essay) in National University's The Gnu, Fall/Winter 2007.